Sooke Lion President Bob Halliday is presenting Lion Danny Willis with the 'Lion of the Year' Award for his enormous contribution to the Lions Club and the Sooke community as well. Danny is into his 4th year as Lion Treasurer, an enormous job in itself to keep the books constantly accurate, but be also chairs 3 very active committees in our Land Use Committee, Sookarama, Grade 2 Swim Program and co-chairs our Raffle Calendar project, and is always in attendance at our community projects like our free Pancake Breakfast for elementary & middle school kids. Well Deserved Lion Danny!
Check This Out!! Sooke Lions Business Phone Book on Your Cel Phone!
If you would like to have it on your phone, email me at email@example.com
and I'll send you the easy to apply instructions, just say Android or IPhone.
January 2021 was a good start for the year, in a Lion's perspective! We started off with Our Annual Lions Christmas Tree Recycling & (now) Bottle Drive, then helped a lady that suffered some pretty severe tree damage from the heavy windstorm in the middle of the month.
The 3 Lions Clubs of Sooke - Sooke Lions, Sooke Harbourside Lions & Sooke District Lioness Lions got together January 9th & 10th at the corner of Sooke Road & Phillips Rd (Seaparc Sign) for a 2 day fundraising event - very successful in raising money for all 3 clubs to give back to our community through the things we do.
The major windstorm brought down many trees all over the Sooke region but in particular damage to the roof & yard of one of Sooke's long time residents so a group of Lions spent a couple of days helping cleanup, chip limbs & branches & chainsaw timber for firewood. Special thanks to Roddy of TOP IT ALL TREE TOPPING (250-532-7884) as he stopped at the property right at the beginning to safely chainsaw tree tops & large trees so everyone would feel safer helping out.
- More photos of both events in our General Gallery.
SOME OTHER SOOKE LIONS PROJECTS - Sooke Business Phone Directory, Canada Day Celebration, Ballpark Concession, Sooke Cemetery upkeep, Breakfast with Santa, Santa Claus Parade, Hard Times Dance, High School Bursaries, Grade 2 Swim Classes, School Breakfasts.
NB: Monies collected from these events goes to serve and help the community and people of Sooke.
WHO ARE THE LIONS
Lions - Liberty, Intelligence, Our Nations Safety
We are Volunteer Members of Service Clubs grouped around the world under an International Organization. We enjoy fellowship, develop leadership skills and dedicate part of our time to helping those in need - while making our individual communities a better place in which to live. Lions have been around for over 100 years, forming in 1917. There are currently over 1.4 million Lions in 47,000 Lions Clubs in 0ver 200 Countries.
Purpose and Ethics
Lions Clubs lnternational Purpose
- To Organize, charter and supervise service clubs to be known as Lions clubs.
- To Co-ordinate the activities and standardize the administration of Lions clubs.
- To Create and foster a spirit of understanding among the peoples of the world.
- To Promote the principles of good government and good citizenship.
- To Take an active interest in the civic, cultural, social and moral welfare of the community.
- To Unite the clubs in the bonds of friendship, good fellowship and mutual understanding.
- To Provide a forum for the open discussion of all matters of public interest; provided,
however, that partisan politics and sectarian religion shall not be debated by club members.
- To Encourage service-minded people to serve their community without personal financial
reward, and to encourage efficiency and promote high ethical standards in commerce,
industry, professions, public works and private endeavors.
Lions Clubs Code of Ethics
- To Show my faith in the worthiness of my vocation by industrious application to the end that I
may merit a reputation for quality of service.
- To Seek success and to demand all fair remuneration or profit as my just due, but to accept no
profit or success at the price of my own self-respect lost because of unfair advantage taken or
because of questionable acts on my part.
- To Remember that in building up my business it is not necessary to tear down another's; to be
loyal to my clients or customers and true to myself.
- Whenever a doubt arises as to the right or ethics of my position or action towards others, to
resolve such doubt against myself.
- To Hold friendship as an end and not a means. To hold that true friendship exists not on
account of the service performed by one to another, but that true friendship demands nothing
but accepts service in the spirit in which it is given.
- Always to bear in mind my obligations as a citizen to my nation, my state, and my community,
and to give them my unswerving loyalty in word, act, and deed. To give them freely of my time,
labor and means.
- To Aid others by giving my sympathy to those in distress, my aid to the weak, and my substance to the needy.
- To Be Careful with my criticism and liberal with my praise; to build up and not destroy.